Sunday 19 May 2013

Creature #3

As I have talked about before, I'm a bit of an image hoarder... Since about 2005, I have been saving every single image I have seen and liked.

This picture came into my pinterest feed, and looking at it from my tiny ipod screen it looked to me like some creepy creature with weird hands. I saved it.
A few months later I sketched out a little character and this weekend decided to paint it.
My sketches are usually pretty vague. I have this idea in my head that I don't want to waste my creativity on a sketch, like it can run out or something. I make notes and decide the color palette... Then begin.
In progress

One important lesson I have recently learned: 
On previous paintings I have spent ages drawing out the details of the face on the paper, only to paint a base coat over everything, loosing my ideas. New technique: I get the basic shapes down, then draw the rest of details on tracing paper so that after the paint is down I still have an exact reference of what was where, and if necessary can use graphite transfer paper to put everything back in place.

I'm a genius. 

'A Bad Moon Rising' 
42x60cm





The end.



No comments:

Post a Comment